Knowledge Base

How can I trap wild animals on my property?

Category: Animal Issues

 Animal Care & Control can help you to remove the animal by providing a humane trap for up to 2 weeks with the payment of a refundable deposit. Officers will deliver the trap and show you how to properly use it. You must provide your own bait for the trap. You may also use your own trap, if you have one. You must commit to checking the trap several times a day once it is set. Once you have trapped the animal, simply call Animal Care and Control to have him/her picked up. We ask that you do not trap on weekends or holidays, as our staffing is minimal on these days and may be tied up with emergencies.

In order to keep better records to aid us in continuing to provide quality services to residents of the City of Pittsburgh, we ask that you fill out the form linked below to register your trapping location. You may also use this form to be placed on the waiting list to rent a trap, if necessary. During peak seasons, there may be a wait time of up to 2 weeks to receive a trap. If there is an animal inside your home, please call the office directly so that we may assist you immediately. Please understand that due to state regulations regarding rabies vector species, all groundhogs, skunks and raccoons that are trapped must be humanely euthanized.


Updated 9/26/2017 1:03 PM
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Thanks for your feedback!