Where can I find information on becoming a police officer?
If you are interested in the position of police officer, you can submit an online Job Interest Card on our Online Employment Center which will ensure that you are contacted via email when the recruitment period begins.
The Police Officer Candidate Oral Exam Preparation Guide can also be found here.
There are also several general requirements to becoming a police officer; you must submit or show proof of all of the following at the time of filing of your application (unless indicated). Failure to do so may disqualify your application.
- Complete the online City of Pittsburgh Application Form and Supplemental questions for this position.
- You must be at least 18 years of age at the time of filing application.
- You must be a US citizen.
- Applicants must become residents of the City of Pittsburgh prior to employment and remain a resident throughout employment.
- A current, valid Class C Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator’s License or a current valid driver’s license from another state or the US Armed Forces.
- Licenses must be presented at the time of filing application or prior to certification. PA driver’s license must be obtained prior to appointment and maintained throughout employment.
- Thirty (30) semester credits (or forty-five (45) quarter credits) of completed coursework at an accredited college, university, technical or trade school are required at the time of application or by the date of written examination.
- Note: sixty (60) semester credits (or ninety (90) quarter credits of completed coursework at an accredited college, university, technical or trade school and must be completed by the time your rank on the eligibility list is reached for processing for an academy class. If you do not meet the requirement at that time, you will be able to request a one year civil service education waiver/deferment.
For additional information, please call (412) 255-2388.