As a resident, what do I need to know about the plastic bag ban?
Category: Garbage and Litter Issues
- Where does the fee go?
- Businesses keep the fee, which allows them to recover costs associated with providing paper bags to customers.
- How can customers avoid the fee?
- You can avoid paying the paper bag fee by bringing your own bag to the store or restaurant.
- Is it safe to use reusable bags?
- Reusable bags can be used safely with basic cleaning practices. You should launder or wash your reusable bags regularly to keep them clean and prevent germs from accumulating.
- If I use an EBT card issued under the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), or other electronic benefits issued by the Department of Human Services, will I still be charged for paper bags?
- No. Any business that accepts vouchers or electronic benefits transfer (EBT) cards may not collect paper bag fees from anyone using a voucher or EBT card.
Updated 10/13/2023 2:03 PM